Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Holiday Movie Reviews


"Frost/Nixon" : B+ (Very good)

I'll be honest, I am a little ignorant about American history. Not "Jaywalking" ignorant, just to the level that I didn't know anything about the Frost interview before hearing about this movie. Now, I'll be honest again and say this is not normally "my kind of movie," and I went to it largely because of the great reviews. Two hours later, I was impressed and entertained. Thankfully, the story was positioned more as a match between two ambitious men than as a history lesson. I enjoyed the drama, I enjoyed the power play, and I enjoyed Frank Langella who was a fascinating Nixon despite a lack of visual resemblance. I did wish there had been a deeper look into Frost's inner journey during the whole process. More importantly, I kept wondering how much dramatization there is in this retelling of a well-known piece of history. After seeing some excerpts of the real Frost interview (on YouTube), I realized the answer is "quite a bit." Oh well... After all, to expect otherwise might be as realistic as expecting a non-airbrushed photo on the cover of "Vogue."

No comments:

Post a Comment