Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Spring Movie Reviews

Didn't see too many movies this spring so here they are:

"Coraline" : A- (Great movie!)

I've always been a fan of stop-motion. Here, director Henry Selick ("The Nightmare Before Christmas") constructs a colorful, imaginative and moody world for Coraline, a braver, more determined version of Alice experiencing her own bizarro Wonderland. Stake is high as Coraline must rescue her own parents as well as several kids from the grasp of... Well, the story is not all that important (or perfect). What matters is that by the end of the movie, I not only enjoyed the visual feast, I also fell in love with Coraline... and her silent buddy boy.

Incidentally, I watched the movie in 3D. Not a bad trick... I just wish my 3D glasses were constructed better and didn't cause double-images.

"I Love You, Man" : B+ (Very good)

I went to this movie for one reason, and liked it for the same reason: Paul Rudd. His undeniable likeability and relatability carried the story and gave it a heart. I even forgave his character for performing one of the unforgivable comedy shticks in my book, known as projectile vomiting. Jason Segel's character also added enough intrigue to keep things interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment