Sunday, May 22, 2011

SIFF Day 3 (May 21): LOVE Rocks


Today I braved the infamous folding chair seats an the Neptune, which is no longer a regular movie theater and currently undergoing renovation by its new owner, Seattle Theatre Group. Hopefully this is just growing pain, and the finished multi-purpose performance space will be wonderful.

Cameraman: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff (UK) (Docu) - B+

For someone like me, who is not well-versed in classic cinema, "Cameraman" is certainly a treat and a history lesson. This documentary brings us on a journey of Jack Cardiff's incredible long career, focusing especially on his love of the craft and how he brought his artistic vision into his collaboration with illustrious directors and movie stars. I would've liked to see the film dive deeper into Cardiff's inner world and the person he was outside of his film work. Even so, this is quite an enlightening documentary for film lovers. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go add some titles to my Netflix queue...

3 (Germany) - B

This being from the director of "Run Lola Run," you might expect emotional intensity, unusual circumstances, and clever split-screen sequences. There were some of those, but the real surprise was that the whole thing, while enjoyable, felt a little long and drawn-out. The core of the story, which finally emerged in the second half, felt like a soap opera, and rushed to a hasty conclusion. I wish this whole movie had been the first act, since I am quite curious what would happen next. Perhaps they were setting it up for a sequel?

Lope (Spain) - B

OK, correction. THIS is what's really like a soap opera. Since I'm not big on soap operas, I'll just say "it's good" and leave it as that. One question though: Were the women attracted to Lope because of his poems? Or his tall, handsome sexiness?

LOVE (USA) - B+

Without a doubt, "LOVE" is one of the most remarkable independent films you'll ever see. Started as a video project for the band Angels & Airwaves, it turned out to be a four-year-long passion project for first-time filmmaker William Eubank. In a DIY set that was literally constructed in a backyard and looked ten times more expensive than it should, Eubank meticulously constructed a haunting story of an astronaut who lost all contact with earth. Lead actor Gunner Wright truly carried the film with a stand-out performance that embodied his character's maddening experience. While I wish the film had developed more around the connections between the various story elements, it definitely left a strong impression on me. After seeing three other films with much higher budgets, it was this "small" film that inspired me the most today.

"LOVE" pre-screening introduction, fake astronauts and all

Me with "LOVE" director William Eubank

Me with "LOVE" lead actor Gunner Wright

2 comments:

  1. Is there a way to contact you by email? I missed about the last 10mins of the movie at the SIFF screening today. (don't want to spoil movie for anyone) And I wanted to see if it tied everything together. Because I'm pretty dang confused about the story.

    ReplyDelete