Tuesday, May 24, 2011

SIFF Day 6 (May 24): Against Expectations


Beginners (USA) - B

Oh, how I wanted to love this film. Ewan McGregor - one of the finest actors working today. Christopher Plummer - I don't think he is capable of being disappointing. And a premise that seemed full of potential. So how did I end up feeling so disinterested? All the tricks and quirks, from stock photo sequences to a subtitled dog, are quite effective. It's the overall story that I have trouble connecting with, particularly the girlfriend - I fail to understand what the relationship is about and why they are together. When I don't buy in the primary relationship, that pretty much kills it for me. The father's story is way more engaging. Unfortunately, the narrative structure of jumping back and forth between two timelines, while interesting at first, eventually started being distracting and disruptive. Despite all that, I still consider "Beginners" worth watching for the two actors alone.

Perhaps it served me right that I didn't act fast enough to get ticket to the Ewan McGregor tribute event, thus ending up watching this film under the horrible sound system at the Neptune? I heard many people complaining that they missed a lot of the dialogue. If I could hear everything better, that might have helped... Who knows.

A Lot Like You (USA/Tanzania) (Docu) - B+

Seattle local Eliaichi Kimaro, born half-Tanzanian-half-Korean, went to Tanzania to find a deeper understanding of her paternal root. During her several years of filming, however, the focus shifted to somewhere else... and then to somewhere totally unexpected, when the issue of sexual violence and abuse came into the picture. In my conversation with her after the screening, Eli stated that she sees herself as an activist more than a filmmaker. This film is first and foremost for her own purpose (and a gift for her daughter); her process of shifting focus and, to a certain degree, the lack of resolution are reflected in the documentary as well. (There seemed to be strong interest from the audience to know what happened next after the film finished.) But like Eli said in the Q&A, the more personal and honest she went with the documentary, the more universal it became. Originally slated to be called "Worlds Apart," "A Lot Like You" is an appropriate title for a film that's so appropriate for today's ever-blending world.


"A Lot Like You" Q&A; post-film reception;
me with Eli, her mother, and her husband

No comments:

Post a Comment