Thursday, June 9, 2011

SIFF Day 21 (Jun 8): Change of Plan


For the second time this SIFF, I was shut out of a sold-out screening. And for the second time, I ended up watching a Hollywood blockbuster instead.

Some explanation here... As a "full series" passholder, I can get into any regular screening as long as there are stills seats. However, if there are enough passholders showing up to fill the allotted passholder seats, and all other seats are sold to ticket buyers, then any passholders showing up after that will be turned away. (Platinum passholders can always get in and be seated in specially reserved seats.) In my nine years as passholder, I have only been turned away a few times. Today, my friend Eric and I carpooled to go to the much-buzzed-about horse whisperer documentary "Buck". We arrived at SIFF Cinema about 15 minutes before showtime, and ended up in the passholder standby line. Eric's sister Sandy arrived earlier and was ahead of us in standby. At the end, Sandy was the last one let in, while Eric and I got turned away along with nine other passholders and a long line of people waiting to buy tickets.

Last group of standby passholders being let into "Buck".
Notice the SIFF staffer stopping the line right after Sandy got in;
and the long line of ticket standbys (along the wall) who waited in vain.

We decided to head to Pacific Place and catch a non-SIFF movie before our planned 9:30 pick. It all worked out really well, and we turned our disappointment into a pleasant evening!

Kung Fu Panda 2 (USA) - A-

This is actually one of three Hollywood animations included in the "Films4Families" section of this year's SIFF. Eric and I didn't go to its festival screenings, so it's somewhat appropriate to see it now. We both liked it a lot. I enjoyed it more than the first "Kung Fu Panda"; Eric thought it wasn't as good. For me the moral lesson in the film, though cliched and a little forced, resonates well and adds an extra layer to the well-developed story. Eric, however, took issue with some of the character motivations and behaviors. We both loved the bits and pieces of hilarity and cleverness scattered throughout the movie.

Princess (Finland) - B+

The story started in 1945, when a woman in a psychiatric hospital claimed she was a real Princess. While there are comedic elements, this film is an engaging drama that feels as sad as it is hopeful. I thought it worked remarkably well as fiction, and when I discovered that it is closely based on a true story, I felt even more impressed and impacted by the film and the story of the Princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment