Friday, June 10, 2011

SIFF Day 22 (Jun 9): What the...??


The Catechism Cataclysm (USA) - B

The most puzzling thing about "Cat Cat" (as someone called it) is that I actually enjoyed it! Considering that it is so NOT the kind of film I typically like. There is a clear narrative - and a few other stories within the story - yet the whole thing seems intentionally nonsensical. Meaning, it doesn't make much sense and probably doesn't want to. Usually I reject or even despise that flavor of filmmaking, but here, I enjoyed it in a weird and inexplicable way, helped by strong acting from the whole cast, steady pacing, and abundant absurd hilarity. This film apparently draws heavily from the style of religious parables, which I'm not familiar with so I can't comment on that angle. Director Todd Rohal said he wanted to make a movie that nobody can easily explain to others; I think he succeeded, so I won't even try. They filmed and edited the whole thing in three weeks, thinking it would only be seen by like ten people, and was very surprised when it got into Sundance and found theater distribution. So if you are curious about this oddball creature, you will have a chance to see it! Whatever you do, just don't ask the question: "What does it mean?"

Post-screening Q&A at the Neptune

L: me with director Todd Rohal. Red-eye intentionally kept intact in honor of the film :-)
R: me with star Steve Little, who portrays a disenchanted priest in the film, and shows up
here appropriately looking like Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment